Thursday, September 23, 2010

September 23 :: Song of Solomon 1-3; Galatians 2


Intro to Song of Solomon


Author: Solomon

Date: 965 B.C.


Ways to Interpret: 

A) The Song of Solomon is historically interpreted to be a record of the love, courtship, marriage, and romance between Solomon and a Shulammite woman, giving us a glance into their life during this time. Their love avoids the extremes of asceticism and of lust, while honoring physical love within marriage only.

B) The Song of Solomon can also be interpreted as revealing the love of God/Christ for His people and can be very powerful in this way as well. 


Romantic Ideas: 

A) 1:9 "To me, my darling, you are like my mare among the chariots of Pharaoh" - Solomon LOVED horses, aka, when the Shulammite walked into a room, Solomon was distracted by her.

B) 1:13 "My beloved is to me a pouch of myrrh which lies all night between my breasts" - closeness.

C) 1:14 "My beloved is to me a cluster of henna blossoms in the vineyards of Engedi" - the person is an ideal location, a place to "get away to."

D) 2:1 "I am the rose of Sharon, the lily of the valleys" - she says she is normal, he says she is anything but normal, nothing short of spectacular - he tells her just how he feels about her.

E) 2:4 "And his banner over me is love" - everything he does shows his love for her (*banner* was a military term used to regroup troops, to show them where they belonged...she belonged with him)

F) 2:6 "Let his left hand be under my head and his right hand embrace me" - she completely trusts him.



No comments:

Post a Comment